Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Glasses

Glasses are used for being able to see in various cases where it is impossible to do so. As in, you were born with poor eyesite, so you need glasses to see the board at school, so you will not fail later in life.
Or if you are a driver, So you don't veer off the road and take the lives of the righteous, as well as the wicked.
Glasses were not created as a visual means of fashion, but they certainly evolved into that indication. For those who are stuck with bad eyesite, they might as well be cool looking, as the glasses will be the first cranial accessory that one will see when they meet you.
Glasses were not meant to be treated as any other piece of jewelry. Some people just don't deserve to wear glasses.

I am talking about the Indie-Hipster-Douchebags who listen to "Indie" music, who ride their "bikes" everywhere to the local "coffee hut" because that is "the cool thing to do."

The hipsters who try hard, to make it look like they are not trying hard.

I am not criticizing the whole of the indie sub culture, I will get to that another day. But when a kid who has been making fun of me for wearing glasses since the fourth grade, suddenly appears with the latest dollar store glasses with the lenses punched out...

Do they really think they have earned any sort of street cred? Half my life, I have been wearing glasses. And for a majority of it, people would make snide remarks about my less than stellar vision.

"Wow, you must be blind."

"How many fingers am I holding up?"

"Wow, you look like Urkle/Velma/[Insert name of "geek"] "

or, my favorite:

"Floor Pies!"

The latter was a poor attempt at the practicle 'four eyes' approach. (If you ask me, THEY need the glasses if they believe I actually have four eyes) but he lisped his words together. Of course, I made fun of him for that until he cried.

Hey, I never said I was merciless. And it was the 5th grade. So sue me.

I choose not to wear contacts, because I do not want to sell out. And they burn my eyes. If you choose to wear contacts, that is your decision! Go for it! But if you wear contacts, and are wearing a pair of Ray Bans with the lenses pushed out, you lose all the credibility you ever had.

Which is none, you stupid indie kid.

No comments:

Post a Comment